Monday, December 13, 2010

AIDS Awareness - Original Spoken Word Piece

On Wednesday November 24th , our school had an AIDS Awareness Assembly . I wrote a spoken word piece trying to capture the emotions of someone who was a rape victim and as a result was diagnosed with the Sexually Transmitted Disease .
Seconds . Minutes . Hours . 

Seconds . Minutes . Hours .
Close your eyes
Cause here comes the cold shower .
Wash away the shame .
Wash away the lies .
Wash away the fact that
He had all the power .
He has no face .
He has no name .
He has no race .
He took away your dreams -
Your trust , your life .
A feeling of safe , you must now chase .
Although you make it seem
Like everything's alright ;
We see it destroying you
Like an endless night-mare .
It's a hidden burden
You refuse to share .
Cause your friends ;
You don't wanna scare
You keep saying you're
Tired of crying ,
But , damn girl ,
You're not even trying .
No one said it's gonna be easy .
You're always gonna have those memories .
So I'm askin' ; beggin' you
For the sake of yourself -
Please - stop blaming yourself .
You and I both know
That you had no control over how things went down .
You couldn't have said ' no '
It wouldn't have made a difference .
He wouldn't have let you go .
Lonely and cold
No where to go .
No where to run .
No one to hold .
No one to love .
Cause to them ; I'm a monster ;
The true meaning of evil .
Feelings - I can no longer feel .
They're failing to realize that I am the victim .
If they took a minute
to look me in the eyes
They'd see that it's him .
Seconds . Minutes . Hours .
That's all it took for him
to rip away my innocence .
What made him so angry ?
What made him resort to such violence ?
Was it something I said
That planted those sick
thoughts inside his head ?
What is it that could have led
To him demanding -
Forcing me to bed ?
A tale of unfortunate events .
I couldn't help ;
Change the way things went .
It was out of my hands .
Terrified and trembling -
So still , motionless I laid .
Maybe if I fought back -
Screamed ,
I wouldn't have been
Infected with AIDS .
Seconds . Minutes . Hours .
I'm still living , I'm still breathing .
Everyone's running .
Everyone's leaving .
I'm still crying
Cause I know
There's no point in trying .
It was  a mistake I made ; a choice .
I trusted him with everything .
He took it all , left me with now voice .
In a flash , my life was taken .
And from this night mare ,
I'll never awaken .
Seconds . Minutes . Hours .


Summer Fierce

No comments:

Post a Comment