Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Know Who I Am . . . I Think .

Recently I read an article entitled Don't Lose Yourself in Hollywood written by Kirsten Tetbar and posted on www.theactingroom.com . The article is written to actors considering or on the verge of moving to L.A. It states and restates and restates again how you should not lose yourself when you move there, which many people do. A lot of people, many child stars, come to Hollywood thinking that they need to totally reinvent themselves to make it in the industry. But that's not it. What actually makes you as an actor stand out, is your ability to be yourself and be true to your heart. Yes, of course, during an audition you are impersonating someone else, but at the end of the day, you can be the greatest actor in the world, but no director is going to want to work with someone like Miranda Priestly (From The Devil Wears Prada).
Also, people don`t take the time to realize that Hollywood isn`t all that it`s made out to be on television. It`s not all partying and picture perfect lives, it`s a whole lot more complicated than that. In fact, this came as a surprise to me, it is poverty stricken. Life is difficult there, as the expenses are a lot higher, as an actor, jobs are limited, etc.
You need to know what your morals and standards are. What lessons have your parents taught you as a child that you still continue to carry with you? Are you going to change your beliefs to get a role? Or are you going to be true to yourself? Many people say that they`re going to stay true to themselves, but as soon as they see the money that's attached to the role, they will cross all lines, even the ones that depict their religious values to get that part.
Personally, I know where the line is. My parents brought me up well. Everything they taught me and continue to teach me are my immortal values and understandings of life. If there is a role that requires me to smoke or do a nude scene and this is a once in a life time opportunity to get more than a foot in the door of the acting industry, than I will confidently have to pass it up. I respect myself and my parents way too much to cross that line.
So, my advice to you, as the article advised me, stay true to yourself. If you're going to move to Hollywood, know who you are and what is in your heart. Don't change for anyone, but yourself. You are you. God put you on Earth this way and gave you talent. Use it. Use it right.






Summer Fierce

No comments:

Post a Comment